Saturday, October 16, 2010

Dreamwork

For most of my life, I haven't remembered most of my dreams. Here and there, but I was never one of those people who could recount their dreams every morning. I spent some time, back when I was first exploring, cultivating a dream practice. It was more or less part of a larger process of trying various exercises to cultivate my intuition and connection to unconscious forces represented by the Moon card in the Tarot.

I had some success when I was actively working with my dreams. Using the techniques I found, I started to be able to recall my dreams almost every night. I also had some success at incubating a dream, a term for the act of inducing (or perhaps asking for) a dream to provide insight. Before I moved on to the next practice I was trying out.

When I studied traditional hoodoo lore, I learned of a specific magical gift in this area called dreaming true. When dreaming true, the rootworker gets information about the past, present and/or future. Often this information comes from an ancestor or another spirit.

I am currently planning another round of dreamwork. This has been impacted by recent, sporadic dreams I've had over the last few months. These dreams have been different enough from my regular dreams that I recognize a special effort at communicating something to me. Some of those dreams, the meaning has been clear and others less so.

I like that magic can be unpredictable sometimes. I don't know why my dreams have started to be more active now than in the past. Perhaps after working with meditation and trance for so long, this is a natural outgrowth of those practices? Or perhaps, as a friend once said, that different talents come apparent as we get older. Regardless of the source, I'm excited to start up a dream practice for the first time in a long time. I will be summarizing some technique and goals here as part of that process.

No comments:

Post a Comment